Friday, January 20, 2006

English Mania

Koreans love english. They will run up to you excited to speak what little english they know with a huge smile on their face even when they can only say "hello!" They wear clothing with random english words printed on them and often the english words do not go together or make any sense. Koreans also love old American music and while they can't necessarily understand the lyrics they still listen. As a matter of fact, the other day when I was in the movie store picking out a movie a song came on that I remembered from middle school. I was quite shocked at first due to the lyrics I knew where in the song so, I thought maybe it was a different version of the one I remembered. Minutes later the chorus came on loud and I heard:

The roof the roof the roof is on fire
The roof the roof the roof is on fire
The roof the roof the roof is on fire
We don't need no water let the motherf*cker burn
Burn motherf*cker burn

I couldn't believe what I was hearing and when I turned around I saw the cashier (a middle aged woman) dancing behind the counter. It was obvious that she could not understand a word of what she was hearing and was loving the song! I was in a state of disbelief and could harldy control my laughter as I walked home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home