Tuesday, April 25, 2006

2 funny stories

Here are 2 funny stories that happened last week. There was no way I could have prevented the first one with the knowledge I had in the situation however, the second was preventable and I would even go as far to say that I should have known better.

Story # 1: Melanie gets pulled over in Seoul
Me: Am I getting pulled over? ( I am being followed by cops whose lights are on but they are
always on here but this time I notice there is a loud speaker attached to the car and it is in use).
Keith: No.
Me: Huh, I think I am.
Keith: Yep- I think you're right.
Me: Anyoung haseyo! (hello! with a huge grin on my face- what else could I do?) Yonga haseyo? (do you speak english?)
Police Officer: Aniyo! (No) Hanguel haseyo? (Do you speak korean?)
Me: Aniyo! (NO! and a laugh)
Police Officer: Liscence?!
Me: Ne (yes). (International Drivers Permits are translated into many different languages and are accepted in Korea despite the fact that Korean is not one of the languages it is transated into!)
Police Officer: He is looking at me like I am crazy and does not understand what the paper he is holding is supposed to mean.
Keith: Why?! (This is accompanied by gestures to get accross the question "Why are we getting pulled over?")
Police Officer: U-turn! (I had no idea this was illegal anywhere in Korea based no how often it
is used.)
Police Officer: Be careful. (He says this after he has looked at the front tags on our funky van and then walks off. )

Story # 2: Melanie gets a haircut.
Since arriving in Korea i've yet to get a haircut. My hair is now the longest it has been in years and the other day I decided to "spice" it up a bit by cutting a few layers around my face. This wasn't meant to be drastic or even very noticeable but simply a small, insignificant change. I had finished one side when Keith comes into the bathroom and decides he wants to help. "Let me cut the other side!" I laugh but then realize quickly that he is serious. I ask him if he thinks he can actually do what I want him to and take the time to show him what I have done to the other side. He assures me the he has it under control and the next thing I know, Keith has the scissors coming at me. I should have known better! Now I have what I lovingly refer to as the "chunk". Keith managed to cut a chunk of my hair off that is right around my face so that it is now about 6 inches shorter than the rest of my hair. I tried to "blend" it in b/c I really don't want to get all of my hair cut. I am lucky that I can tuck it behind my ear so it is usually not noticeable. I would like to mention that I was absolutely livid for the 4 hours directly following this incident but I can now laugh at my new "do". Despite the fact that it is now humourus- I will NEVER, EVER, EVER let Keith attempt ANYTHING on my hair again!

4 Comments:

At 5:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can’t believe you let Keith come at your head with scissors. Oh well, hair grows. But I laughed pretty hard when I read that. I gave Pa a pretty big hole in his hair when I was little; that was the last time he asked me to cut his hair. :)

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very brave letting Keith cut your hair. I only let Josh cut my hair in a straight line and he even has problems with that.

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I had raised a smarter girl than that. i can just imagine your reaction if your sister had done it. I'm looking forward to seeing you in October

 
At 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cutting someones hair is not easy. I cut Lou's hair a few weeks ago. I was nervous about it,turned out ok butI have a lot of room for improvement.

You can always cover it up with your hat. which, we are still waiting patiently to see a photo of you two in your hats =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home